【短篇】OLE AND TRUFA ( A Story of Two Leaves ) ZT

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-9-12 17:23 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多好友,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?注册 微信登录

x
OLE AND TRUFA ( A Story of Two Leaves )8 Z% l! o7 C( |5 L+ u! k& [
by Issac Bashevis Singer# y; X: m  O% ]2 u8 j8 }  F
The forest was large and thickly overgrown with all kinds of leaf-bearing4 ~5 t6 u  t) T# @
trees. It was in the month of November. Usually, it's cold this time of year
2 k8 k' M4 ?$ d, Y# V; Q/ [and it even happens that it snows, but this November was relatively warm.$ Q" S# }$ I; N+ `. o& b
The nights were cool and windy but as soon as the sun came out in the
7 E0 q) F: M" n* m- E$ vmornings it turned warm. You might have thought it was summer except that
; n. M# B% n& h) Z8 z6 ?the whole forest was strewn with fallen leaves - some yellow as saffron,
! d, u" m4 [. R% W& Ssome red as wine, some the color of gold, and some of mixed color. The
- }  w* N/ P/ X* v0 T; Dleaves had been torn down by the rain, by the wind, some by day, some at
" y; l# A" |0 S$ ^; A- Znight, and they now formed a deep carpet over the forest floor. Although
9 r2 e4 u1 M  r" ]9 ctheir juices had run dry, the leaves still exuded a pleasant aroma. The sun
* A2 E2 @, Q7 K/ mshone down on them through the living branches, and the worms and flies
- C6 Q& m1 X$ m* A/ \+ gwhich had somehow survived the autumn storms crawled over them. The space
) y8 R( D% R) J' Cbeneath the leaves provided hiding places for crickets, field mice, and many- ]  ?  g8 ?' c& g
other creatures who sough protection in the earth. The birds that don't
& G9 w" L) o( ]+ }migrate to warmer climates in the winter but stay behind perched on the bare
5 L, ?+ S9 O; [2 Ktree limbs. Among them were sparrows - tiny birds, but endowed with much
) V* G! m; F9 d* lcourage and the experience accumulated through thousands of generations./ o- f; _2 B* C3 W, f/ |
They hopped, twittered, and searched for the food the forest offered this
; }7 t# `+ _# G5 T! t6 Ctime of year. Many, many insects and worms had perished in recent weeks, but
; m; W9 s) R! t1 J7 G- N3 F8 Vno one mourned their loss. God's creatures know that death is merely a phase5 h* G+ W7 l1 b2 S2 Z
of life. With the coming of spring, the forest would again fill with
! c) z& G% _  U- {+ \grasses, green leaves, blossoms and flowers. The migrating birds would
8 O8 f& n& f# N2 o: Preturn from far-off lands and locate their abandoned nests. Even if the wind! J& d- u. T  r0 |9 q) G
or the rain had disturbed a nest, it could be easily repaired.% t. n$ S# e; \6 t, {
On the tip of a tree which had lost all its other leaves, two still
  [( j  `- }. u- o" Cremained. One leaf was named Ole and the other, Trufa. Ole and Trufa both
9 T' f& H3 _4 Z8 yhung from one twig. Since they were at the very tip of the tree they% r, U( D# H/ a/ V8 p
received lots of sunlight. For some reason unknown to Ole or Trufa, they had
( K- H5 v2 A2 J# L$ C, x6 Jsurvived all the rains, all the cold nights and winds, and still clung to
, U3 o5 Q/ [0 v3 {5 }) nthe tip of the twig. Who knows the reason one leaf falls and another% R. V1 d& E& C, A7 U) r
remains? But Ole and Trufa believed the answer lay in the great love they; v, p1 o7 N! Z
bore one another. Ole was slightly bigger than Trufa and a few days older,
  z. |' N5 l" Gbut Trufa was prettier and more delicate. One leaf can do little for another
' _3 e$ F6 p! l' E! [4 Uwhen the wind blows, the rain pours, or hail begins to fall. It even happens
- [5 Z; r1 j. h( F8 N7 ]& pin summer that a leaf is torn loose - come autumn and winter nothing can be
; ]- Q- A2 V& R% }, X5 Sdone. Still, Ole encouraged Trufa at every opportunity. During the worst) h5 _# @: i: w! l
storms, when the thunder clapped, the lightning flashed, and the wind tore
. |5 F8 f0 h, hoff not only leaves but even whole branches, Ole pleaded with Trufa: "Hang
4 {" U, A* J+ [6 Q# l3 L4 _on, Trufa! Hang on with all your might!"
5 E0 \) W* @) ^: [* x1 ^: R+ sAt times during the cold and stormy nights, Trufa would complain: "My time6 e, _2 M5 T' k9 ?% w" C
has come, Ole, but you hang on!"0 m$ t* N3 Y  K- d( x* V
"What for?" Ole asked. "Without you, my life is senseless. If you fall, I'll
) h# y6 O0 m! R3 kfall with you."
1 b: ~3 M1 e% u6 ~"No, Ole, don't do it! So long as a leaf can stay up it mustn't let go..."8 ]* j  \: u: {. U2 ~
"It all depends if you stay with me," Ole replied. "By day I look at you and% E9 j: \3 E. B3 I  r3 {
admire your beauty. At night I sense your fragrance. Be the only leaf on a  T& L2 @- q* ~; L# V- Z/ j
tree? No, never!"
! v+ p- U4 _' ?. V1 E5 q"Ole, your words are so sweet but they're not true," Trufa said. "You know' o; l. K8 \4 m# m
very well that I'm no longer pretty. Look how wrinkled I am! All my juices4 D) _! |$ o7 w4 j) w
have dried out and I'm ashamed before the birds. They look at me with such
) J1 O; b& z  J+ Mpity. At times it seems to me they're laughing at how shriveled I've become.
9 [* x4 `, Q: UI've lost everything, but one things is still left me - my love for you."8 O/ j- l/ x' C! ~/ ~+ ^# w
"Isn't that enough? Of all our powers love is the highest, the finest," Ole# p2 L  b3 ]9 j4 m
said. "So long as we love each other we remain here, and no wind rain or
$ f! v. v; L6 d( N$ S* `storm can destroy us. I'll tell you something, Trufa - I never loved you as* d: y3 S! ]$ S7 G" l5 I, [
much as I love you now."
2 e. w1 e8 n) [9 G; z" e9 `8 z, e"Why, Ole? Why? I'm all yellow" "Who says green is pretty and yellow is not?
7 `9 n* a* }7 o; b$ X% rAll colors are equally handsome."
, G' K5 r3 p! G3 B3 vAnd just as Ole spoke these words, that which Trufa had feared all these
8 ]; n* t; T+ `( U8 ^8 p+ Gmonths happened - a wind came up and tore Ole loose from the twig. Trufa; l6 U  V( L0 ]; \8 L4 Z& L
began to tremble and flutter until it seemed that she too would soon be torn
% F5 P+ N3 f4 a: J# E9 ?away, but she held fast. She saw Ole fall and sway in the air and she called
9 `6 D6 Q, b) [; l% w5 _% v  B4 Kto him in leafy language: "Ole! Come back! Ole! Ole!". C# ^+ {+ {2 g! n5 q2 X
But before she could even finish Ole vanished from sight. He blended in with; b+ h9 s  P/ @$ y( ^
the other leaves on the ground and Trufa was left all alone on the tree.
& Z5 ?5 v7 i" Y& U2 HSo long as it was still day, Trufa managed somehow to endure her grief. But
( b, f0 `1 `5 g$ ]when it grew dark and cold and a piercing rain began to fall, she sank into3 D* F, n' Y, O! q& A: H9 m& A
despair. Somehow she felt that the blame for all the leafy misfortunes lay
9 O, b& ~6 `* a( i  Y7 Iwith the tree, the trunk with all its mighty limbs. Leaves fell but the
, u3 |/ \5 D# U( b- L) D& K: atrunk stood tall, thick and firmly rooted in the ground. No wind, rain, or
! |& u- v% E7 R7 p) b8 i+ J) `6 Thail could upset it. What did it matter to a tree which probably loved$ y3 R. h% E6 \$ N1 e) Q+ q
forever what became of a leaf? To Trufa, the trunk was a kind of God. It
: V  o; m  s+ f! p8 K- pcovered itself with leaves for a few months, then it shook them off. It6 {$ `! f& D0 ~4 o+ x- F
nourished them with its sap as long as it pleased, then it let them die of
# N# h. v( m* d% S1 Vthirst. Trufa pleaded with the tree to give her back her Ole and make it$ n6 I3 q9 |' c4 X
summer again, but the tree didn't heed, or refused to heed, her prayers...
0 v3 T/ L% R# d% V# A4 Q/ [& {Trufa didn't think a night could be so long as this one - so dark, so
! @3 H( f9 E5 {9 ?& A7 D* ofrosty. She spoke to Ole and hoped for an answer, but Ole was silent and
% @2 L- _1 t) ~' |+ H4 C2 T* rgave no sign of his presence.; H$ @7 X$ u2 @0 v: M
Trufa said to the tree: "Since you've taken Ole from me, take me too.", g1 c: `1 `& |3 b2 H
But even this prayer the tree didn't acknowledge.
/ ]! A8 O" E/ X4 L+ E% z  wAfter a while, Trufa dozed off. This wasn't sleep but a strange languor.
" e1 W! i1 j8 r3 d% uTrufa awoke and to her amazement found that she was no longer hanging on the# s: j/ C! h5 k$ l1 m% m
tree. The wind had blown her down while she was asleep. This was different
) Z2 A$ p0 C+ ^: hfrom the way she used to feel when she awoke on the tree with the sunrise.
9 s; w3 ]4 |2 Q9 Y- i& ~" MAll her fears and anxieties had now vanished. The awakening also brought
# f: ]" L4 k, n/ Cwith it an awareness that she had never felt before. She knew now that she0 ?$ k  U  v1 c) d1 C
wasn't just a leaf that depended on every whim of the wind, but that she was
1 w9 R; [0 u+ Z* C# c! s% j8 Aa part of the universe. She no longer was small not weak not transient, but: c2 E% k! {; |/ C& v6 m
part of an eternity. Through some mysterious force, Trufa understood the
: b9 r% \# _; R" W. ?miracle of her molecules, atoms, protons, and electrons - the enormous/ H2 e+ k- R. m
energy she represented and the divine plan of which she was a part. Next to. q6 l0 t! R. Q. B6 f  i, t6 e
her lay OLe and they greeted each other with a love they hadn't been aware
4 }# A$ i7 p$ G8 B2 a* D: \1 y0 z  Bof before. This wasn't a love that depended on chance or caprice, but a love) ]5 J& ?1 [6 u% n4 _* T
as mighty and eternal as the universe itself. That which they had feared all
( O. c' |* ^5 ?0 |& q$ u7 bthe days and nights between April and November turned out to be not death
% q- E/ t, S! Z7 ^* I( R! q2 Bbut redemption. A breeze came and lifted Ole and Trufa in the air and the  d7 b: ]5 R% `6 l4 R1 m# v/ ~" i6 O
soared with the bliss known only by those who have freed themselves and have
$ L/ I8 L/ P7 i" v- k/ g8 t3 T! vjoined with eternity.
Die von den Nutzern eingestellten Information und Meinungen sind nicht eigene Informationen und Meinungen der DOLC GmbH.
 楼主| 发表于 2009-9-12 21:14 | 显示全部楼层
Die von den Nutzern eingestellten Information und Meinungen sind nicht eigene Informationen und Meinungen der DOLC GmbH.
发表于 2009-9-12 21:17 | 显示全部楼层
发表于 2009-9-19 23:47 | 显示全部楼层
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册 微信登录

本版积分规则

手机版|Archiver|AGB|Impressum|Datenschutzerklärung|萍聚社区-德国热线-德国实用信息网 |网站地图

GMT+2, 2024-5-15 01:45 , Processed in 2.950255 second(s), 23 queries , MemCached On.